I have always been interested in ancient civilisations from around the world. Every corner of the globe has its own Empires of Old to remember, including the Mongols, the Ottomans, the Aztecs, the and the British. But the 5 most fascinating to me are listed here.
5. The Angkorians ruled Cambodia and much of the surrounding land. The best remnants of the Angkorian Empire is at Angkor Wat in Siem Reap.
4. The Greeks were known as the most cerebral of all ancient empires. The best remnants of the Greek Empire is within the Acropolis in Athens.
3. The Incas were responsible for most of the roads and civilisations in south America. The best remnants of the Incan Empire are in Cusco, especially at Machu Picchu.
2. The Romans need no introduction and at the peak of their power they controlled much of Europe and north Africa. The best remnants of the Roman Empire can be found in Rome, including the Coliseum and the Roman Forum.
1. The Egyptians are the most intriguing ancient empire from history and their reign over north eastern Africa is full of myth and legend. The best remnants of the Egyptian Empire can be found in Luxor.