Singapore may very well be the Jewel of South East Asia, and a proud Asian Tiger, but some areas of the island, whether tourist attractions, retail opportunities, or modern developments, are just rubbish, to be honest. Here are my picks for the worst 5 places in Singapore.
5. I would have rated East Coast Park much worse on this list if it wasn’t for the delightful seafood that is served up in that part of the island, but anyhow ECP is now an old spot for families to enjoy some free playtime, as opposed to the beaches on Sentosa, which cost money to use. The area is very dirty compared to other parts of Singapore, and the entertainment (often there is a carnival or some fairground rides here) is totally tacky!
4. Little India is part of Singapore that I have never enjoyed (further reading: Little India, Little Satisfaction), despite always trying to seek out a cultural experience or two everywhere I go. In Singapore, Little India just seems like a tourist attraction that everybody needs to walk through before flying home, and the residents who live in this area (and nearby Arab Street) are noticeably more pernickety towards tourists than other Singaporeans.
3. The award for the most pointless part of Singapore must surely go to Sentosa Cove! This luxury real estate development was principally constructed to entice more yachts and businessmen to the area, but this has alienated many regular Singaporeans of the ‘mainland’ who just aren’t interested to coming all the way here on the MRT just to look at a fancy yacht or two. As such, [although there is clearly money here] much of Sentosa Cove remains decidedly like a ghost town with little to no atmosphere.
2. If you come to Singapore looking for prostitutes then Geylang is your area! While Singapore in general does not have a seedy image, Geylang certainly lowers the tone and simply embarrasses many a Singaporean as they hear tourists’ tales of one night stands and other loutish behaviour that isn’t tolerated anywhere else on the island! There may be cheap food here, but I would advise you to stay away – unless of course you’re prepared to pay the price. Ahem.
1. As a regular visitor to Singapore (maybe 3-4 times each year), I certainly know of the worst place in the country: Sim Lim Square (further reading: Whatever you do, AVOID Sim Lim Square)! This horrible shopping mall is the site of scams galore, usually involving electronics sales and mobile phone deals. Stay well clear, as these deals are all dodgy! However, I’m not saying all tenants in Sim Lim Square are fraudulent. The kind of scams aimed at tourists from some dealers in Sim Lim Square are more akin to what goes on in Bangkok, Jakarta, or Kuala Lumpur, not Singapore, yet the Singaporean Government have not yet done enough to combat the deceitful malpractice that continues to go on to this day. A simple Google search will tell you all you need to know about Sim Lim Square!
What is your worst place in Singapore? Any obvious choices I’ve missed?