Tokyo may be an incredible city, but if you spend too much time there, you will miss out on these awesome places that are less than 3 hours away!
5. Jigokudani is where the famous snow monkey park is located. You may be used to seeing monkeys across the tropical parts of Asia, but little did you know that their distant cousins, the snow monkeys, are native to the northern aspects of Japan, and at Jigokudani they can be watched at length!
4. Kamakura is around 2 hours south of Tokyo and is the site of the famous giant Buddha that appears on postcards of Japan everywhere. There’s more to be seen here though than just the Buddha, as there’s beaches and world class hiking trails.
3. Nikko is no more than an hour’s train journey north of Tokyo and is the best place in the whole of Japan (apart from maybe Kyoto) to see cultural marvels from Japanese history.
2. Hakone is located very close to Mount Fuji and the Fuji Five Lakes region, and is known for its amazing hot springs (onsen). Hakone is truly one of the most scenic places in the whole of Japan and no trip to the capital would be complete without a day trip here!
1. Toyama is perhaps the furthest away from Tokyo, but now with the upgraded Shinkansen service from Tokyo Station to Toyama, you can still get here in less than 3 hours. What you will find is the famous and incredible “snow corridors”, where giant walls of snow have been formed either side of the roads, which make for an amazing photo opportunity!
Is there any great day trips from Tokyo that you have taken? Which is the most attractive journey?