Everybody loves Dubai, but it is not exactly a place for surviving on a shoestring. What are those signs that make you realise Dubai is simply too expensive for you?
5. We all know hotels in Dubai can be very expensive, but have you tried eating out at some of the fancy restaurants in the emirate? Although some of these Dubai restaurants can be very unique, such as an underwater restaurant, or high tea at the top of a modern skyscraper, you will usually be priced out of it unless you come with a very fat wallet!
4. Lifestyle accessories are part and parcel of the daily business of Dubai’s elite, and there is a lot of competition to see who can get the ultimate accessory. Some Emiratis are seen around Dubai with “pet” cheetahs and lions in their cars and homes, which just goes to show that money can’t buy common sense!
3. Shopping in Dubai is always going to be a bit of problem if you are strapped for cash or on a budget. While cheap local stores to exist obviously, the majority of stores and souks and malls in the emirate cater for the mega-rich with luxury high-end goods. Still, you can always go window-shopping and dream!
2. Cars in Dubai can be customised to such a vainglorious level that sometimes as you stop at the traffic lights you may see out of your window a car that is made from solid gold – including the hub caps! I think most of us would simply be too scared to drive this kind of car in case we crashed it! But apparently the millionaires of Dubai, it’s just child’s play!
1. Looking at Yachts in the Dubai Marina is the number one sign that you cannot afford to be in Dubai! These yachts are so expensive and all most of us can do is walk past and take a few photos (preferably in the dark, when the Marina looks at its most sexy), and wonder about the dreamy lifestyles of the rich and the famous.