Apart from eating, shopping is Singaporeans’ favourite pastime. Whenever a new shopping mall opens, it is national news, and people just have to go visit on opening day to see what all the fuss is about! It’s just what they do! In order to kill two birds with one stone, these shopping centres usually have sensational food courts and fast food outlets to keep everybody happy while they are shopping!
So let’s take a look at the top 5 shopping malls in Singapore, starting from 5-1:
5. JEM is the best shopping centre in the Jurong district on Singapore’s west coast. There was a major regeneration of the area over the past few years, and many shopping malls were built to attract more customers, and certainly JEM is the jewel in the crown.
4. The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands is an upmarket shopping mall situated inside the famous Marina Bay Sands integrated resort. Spread out over 3 floors, the kind of shops here are usually boutique and expensive, although the famous and luxurious global brands also take up a lot of presence. The food options at the Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands are also more expensive than at other malls in the country, but seeing as it is all located below the most expensive hotel in Singapore, it’s understandable why this is! This mall has an ice rink, a waterway with Venetian gondolas where you can enjoy a relaxing voyage, and a giant rain oculus, where water will shoot down from outside to make a bit of a splash!
3. VivoCity is the largest shopping mall in Singapore and has the advantage of being very near the coastline of Keppel Harbour and Sentosa Island. In fact, you can catch the Singapore Cable Car from Mount Faber and head to VivoCity for a spot of shopping or dining! Some of the dining outlets here have great views over the Harbour and out to sea, and the shops themselves are always jam-packed from opening to closing!
2. Bugis+ ranks at number 2, for the sheer amount of shops and eateries available in its floorspace. It has recently been renovated and now attracts a large number of visitors every year, including tourists who often stay in the Bugis area of the city. Bugis+ offers high street shops and affordable fast food to its customers, all in a cosy and unpretentious atmosphere.
1. ION Orchard is located on the famous Orchard Road shopping belt, which itself is known as the ultimate retail experience in Singapore! There are so many megamalls here that it’s easy to get overwhelmed, but ION is certainly the pick of the bunch, and in fact, in my opinion, is the ultimate shopping experience in all Singapore! ION Orchard even has the Orchard MRT station right outside its impressive space-age façade so there can be no excuse not to visit this impressive mall, which also has a stupendous food court in its basement!