The beaches of South East Asia are great places to unwind and relax as you enjoy the tropical sunshine and perhaps even sip on some coconut water! But which areas in the region have the finest beaches of them all? Here I list the top 5 locations to find that all elusive beach of paradise:
5. Kep in Cambodia is known as a beach and seafood paradise. Prices there are cheap, and although it lacks any luxury accommodations, it still has a wide variety of quality restaurants and bars that will keep you busy in between riding the waves and topping up your tan!
4. Langkawi on Malaysia’s Andaman coast is surely a tropical paradise. Much more secluded than nearby Penang, Langkawi offers everything you could want from a developing tourist infrastructure, including sensational beaches like at Datai Bay.
3. Deep in Myanmar’s Rakhine State, on the coast of the Bay of Bengal, is Ngapali Beach – one of the most hidden away tropical beaches in the region! Complete with swaying palms and calm waters, Ngapali Beach is only now becoming known to the outside world after years of seclusion.
2. Nha Trang in south-central Vietnam is the site of the country’s best beaches, and some of the most beautiful and peaceful beaches in the entire region. Unaffected by tsunamis, the central Vietnamese coastline is blessed with white sand and calm tropical waters, and nowadays many luxury hotels have opened up trying to get a piece of the action!
1. Truly the most amazing beaches from all of South East Asia come from Krabi, situated on Thailand’s southern Andaman coastline. The sight of clear azure waters and soft white sand feels like a true paradise to many and with limestone karst rock formations in the distance and lush jungle behind you, many of the beaches in Krabi have a sense of isolation from the rest of the world! These beaches, such as at Ao Nang, can get very busy during the high season, but the next unexplored corner of the beach is only around the corner for those brave enough to look for it!
Honourable mentions must go to Pink Beach in Flores, White Beach in Boracay, and Hikkaduwa Beach in Sri Lanka!